2006 – 2010 PhD student, the Centre for the Study of Theory and Criticism,
Western University, London Ontario, Canada
(Coursework and other requirements completed, degree not completed)
2003 – 2005 MA, Cultural Studies, Istanbul Bilgi University, Turkey
Thesis: “Europe Unveiling: The Muslim Presence and the ‘Myth’ of Headscarf in Europe”
Supervisor: Aydın Uğur
2016 – PhD Student, the Photographic Dispositif doctorate program at the Hochschule für Bildende Künste, Braunschweig;
German Research Foundation (DFG) scholarship
1997 – 1998 MA, Philosophy, Bogazici University, Turkey
(Coursework completed with GPA 3.77 out of 4.00, degree not completed)
1992 – 1997 BA, Philosophy, Bogazici University, Turkey
- 2009/2010 – A History of Art and Visual Culture (VAH 1040), Dept. of Visual Arts, Western University
- 2008/2009 – Gender and Sexuality (Film 2255) Dept. of Film Studies, Western University
- 2007/2008 – Introduction to Film Studies (Film 020E), Dept. of Film Studies, Western University
- 2006/2007 – Introduction to Film Studies (Film 020E), Dept. of Film Studies, Western University
- 2006 Spring – Writing Skills (MED 252), Dept. of Media and Communication Systems; Visual Culture (ADV 204), Dept. of Advertising, Istanbul Bilgi University
- 2005 Fall – Reading Skills (MED 251), Dept. of Media and Communication Systems; Visual Communication (TVJ 201), Dept. of Television Journalism, Istanbul Bilgi University
- 2005 Spring – Writing Skills (MED 252), Dept. of Media and Communication Systems; Art History II (HUM 108, Humanities), Istanbul Bilgi University
- 2004 Fall – Reading Skills (MED 251), Dept. of Media and Communication Systems; Visual Communication (TVJ 201), Dept. of Television Journalism, Istanbul Bilgi University
- 2004 Spring – Writing Skills (MED 252), Dept. of Media and Communication Systems, Istanbul Bilgi University
- 2003 Fall – Reading Skills (MED 251), Women, Feminism and Writing (MED 421), Dept. of Media and Communication Systems, Istanbul Bilgi University
- 2003 Spring – Writing Skills (MED 252), Dept. of Media and Communication Systems, Istanbul Bilgi University
Academic and Administrative Experience
- 2008 – 2009 Chief Steward (Arts & Humanities), The Graduate Teaching Assistants’ Union
- 2007 – 2008 Steward, The Graduate Teaching Assistants’ Union
- 2007 Conference Organizer, Interdisciplinary Graduate Conference Tactics of Resistance: Limitations & Possibilities, Western University
- July 2006 Research Assistant, Getty Summer Institute in Istanbul, “Constructing the Past in the Middle East,” the Getty Foundation and the University of Washington
- “Photography as a Collective Act of Resistance,” paper presented at the 5th International Conference of Photography & Theory, Photographies and Conflict: Archiving & Consuming Images of Strife, organized by the International Association of Photography and Theory, Nicosia, Nov. 22-24, 2018.
- “Neighborhood Forums and Squatter Neighborhoods During the Gezi Uprising,” paper presented at the International UnConference Urban Struggles in Mediterranean Cities: The Right to the City and the Common Space, School of Architecture, National Technical University of Athens, Athens, May 31 – June 3, 2018.
- “Gezi Park Protests in Turkey as a Response to Authoritarian Curbing of Public Spheres: Clampdowns on the Flow of Information and Citizens’ Strategies,” paper presented at the 2017 Annual Conference of the Media Studies Association (GfM), Erlangen, October 4-7, 2017.
- “Son Dönem Türkiye Sinemasında Gerçekçilik ve Sinemada Masalın Kullanılması,” [“Realism and the Use of Fairy Tales in the Recent Cinema of Turkey”] paper presented at the 1st Cinema Congress at the International Golden Boll, Adana, September 21-4, 2011
- “Commercialization of Public Sight and Playful Responses,” paper presented at the 1st International Symposium on Visual Culture: Mobility and Fantasy in Visual Culture, Bahçeşehir University, Istanbul, May 20-1, 2011.
- “Filozofların Mağarasından Günümüz Türkiye Sinemasına,” [“From the Philosophers’s Cave to Contemporary Cinema of Turkey”] paper presented at the conference on Cinema and Philosophy: 12th Conference of New Directions in Turkish Film Studies, Kadir Has University, Istanbul, May 5-7, 2011.
- “The Mythology of the Veil,” paper presented at the interdisciplinary conference Veiled Constellations: The Veil, Critical Theory, Politics and Contemporary Society, Department of Political Science, York University, and Department of Mid-East Studies, University of Toronto, June 3-5, 2010.
- “The Psychoanalytic Conception of Memory and the Functioning of Cultural Mementos,” paper presented at the conference Memory as Medium: Experience, Exchange, Representation, Carleton University, Ottawa, March 13-4, 2008.
- “The Return of the Repressed and the Functioning of Memory in Psychoanalysis,” paper presented at the 10th Annual Conference in Comparative Literature, Theory, and Spanish: Repetition and Return, UWO, London, Ontario, March 6-8, 2008.
- “The Unconscious as the Site of Resistance and the Possibilities of a Political Psychoanalysis,” paper presented at the interdisciplinary conference on Theory & Criticism: Tactics of Resistance: Limitations & Possibilities, UWO, London, Ontario, October 12-3, 2007.
- Book Review: Twitter and Tear Gas: The Power and Fragility of Networked Protest by Zeynep Tufekci (Yale University Press, 2017). Published on the Book Reviews section of the website of Zeitschrift für Medienwissenschaft, 2018.
- “Ataerki” [Patriarchy], in Melez Anlatılar [Hybrid Narratives], book published on the works of İsmet Doğan, in conjunction with his retrospective exhibition titled “Retroactive”, Istanbul, 2016.
- “Filozofların Mağarasından Günümüz Türkiye Sineması’na: Gerçekçilik,” [“Realism: From the Philosophers’s Cave to Contemporary Cinema of Turkey”] in Türk Film Araştırmalarında Yeni Yönelimler V. 12, ed. Deniz Bayrakdar, Bağlam Yayıncılık, May 2016, 11-23.
- “Toplumsal Değişimler Ekseninde Türkiye Sineması,” [“The History of the Cinema of Turkey from the Perspective of Social Transformations”] in Sinemada Bir Asır, MEKAM, 2014, 77-83.
- “The Mythology of the Veil in Europe: A Brief History of a Debate,” Journal of Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, 32:1, 2012, 156-168.
- “İşte Hayat,” in Senaristler Kralı Umur Bugay, Antalya Kültür Sanat Vakfı, Antalya, 2012, 44-5.
- “Kapıcılar Kralı,” in Senaristler Kralı Umur Bugay, Antalya Kültür Sanat Vakfı, Antalya, 2012, 48-9.
- “Kadının Adı Yok: Atıf Yılmaz Yorumuyla Kadın,” in Darbeli Düşler: 80’li Yıllar Türk Sineması, Antalya Kültür Sanat Vakfı, Antalya, 2011, 191-203.
- “Son Dönem Türkiye Sinemasında Gerçekçilik ve Sinemada Masalın Kullanılması,” International Golden Boll Congress on Cinema, Altın Koza Yayınları, 2011, No: 83, 171-174. Published in English as well with the title “Realism in Recent Cinema in Turkey and The Use of Fairy Tales”, 175-177.
Other Professional Experience
|08/2010 – 09/2016||Freelance Translator|
|Translating and editing books and articles for publishing houses as well as for translation services agencies.|
|09/2002 – 03/2003||Portal Solutions Application Consultant, Byte & Muhsinoglu IT Company|
|Responsibilities: Supervising the company’s portal projects; providing content to the portal projects; consulting portal solutions regarding the customer requirements.|
|01/2001 – 09/2002||Freelance Translator and Editor|
|Responsibilities: Translated articles and short stories for collections, a short book (“Donna Haraway and Genetically Modified Foods” by George Myerson), and proof-read translations.|
|03/2000 – 01/2001||Translator, Milliyet (daily national) Newspaper|
|Responsibilities: Translating and editing newspaper articles in the fields of health, technology, earth sciences, environment and culture.|
|08/1999 – 02/2000||Copyright Manager and Website Manager, Yapı Kredi Publications|
|Responsibilities: Arranging contracts with copyright agencies and publishers; making correspondences for translation rights; purchasing of books and visual materials; updating the content of the company’s website and supervising new projects; also edited a number of books from the Cogito series.|
|09/1998 – 08/1999||Publishing Coordinator, Yapı Kredi Publications|
|Responsibilities: Organizing the monthly and yearly publishing schedule; coordinating the work flow between editorial staff and technical staff; management of the contracts with writers and translators.|